Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Craptastic

The bleeding and cramping started again last night and went through this morning. I called the OB as soon as they opened and told them that it had started again. They asked if I could come in at 10:20, and I said yes.

I got there and went to the back. When the OB came in, he brought in the pathology results from the D&C. It said there was some hydatidiform changes in the chorionic villi. He's a great guy, but has a really thick accent, so it was hard to understand exactly what he was saying. I could understand that he said those results indicated a partial molar pregnancy. I didn't know exactly what that meant, though. My OB said we would need to monitor my hCG levels to make sure everything is returning to normal as it should.

I got home and looked up partial molar pregnancy. That's some scary shit. I'm really glad we caught it early, and that it wasn't a full molar pregnancy. Those can turn cancerous. But, one of the symptoms of a molar or partial molar is "pernicious vomiting". Uh, yeah. I'm really glad I avoided that one.

I'm also glad that we decided on the D&C, because the molar cells can keep growing, even after the fetus has stopped. So, I would have had a dead baby and out of control placental cells inside me for weeks, possibly. Thank goodness that didn't happen. But, the hCG monitoring is to make sure that all of the placental cells are gone. If my hCG doesn't fall, that means there could still be some cells in there, and we would have to do something to get rid of them.

I had a beta (to measure hCG) today at the OB, so I should have the results in a couple of days. I go back next Tuesday for another beta, and next Thursday for another exam.

I wrote to my clinic, my IFs, and my agency to let them know what's going on. My IF's are on their way back from visiting family, I know, but I hope I hear from somebody soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment