Wednesday, April 3, 2013

HSG

Today was my HSG (Hysterosalpingogram). That's a procedure where the RE injects dye into your uterus, and then takes x-rays to see how it flows. They can tell if you have an abnormal shape, blocked tubes, polyps, fibroids, etc. I looked good, except that my tubes are blocked. Strange, because I haven't had my tubes tied, and I've never had any infection (that I know about, anyway) that would have caused them to become blocked. But, as I am a GS, it doesn't matter. Blocked tubes are just one more sign that I won't get pregnant with  my own baby accidentally. Still odd, though.

Anyway, I was given a prescription for two antibiotics. Not two kinds, just two pills. I was supposed to take one an hour before the procedure and the other 12 hours after. Since I have to drive for over an hour to get there, I had to stop my Dunkin Donuts for a breakfast sandwich with which to take my pill (and some preventative advil, I remember it hurting last time). No big deal, except I ran into horrible traffic from an accident. I got into the RE's office like 5 minutes late. But, it was OK. They had me go downstairs and get some blood taken, and then I was to go upstairs for the HSG.

I got in, and they asked me for my ID and insurance card. I gave them both to them, but specified that my insurance was not to be charged, since I was a surrogate. (I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but my insurance will cover the pregnancy once I get pregnant, but they don't do any of the IVF expenses.) The lady then asked if I was going to pay cash. I guess they don't bill. I was nervous, because I seriously had no idea how much that would cost, and I didn't know if I even had enough money for it in my account. Luckily, another lady walked past behind the desk and asked my name. She told the receptionist that I was covered already. Thank goodness!

There was a bit of waiting, and I was taken back. I stripped from the waist down and put on the lovely robe. I was told to climb up on a big x-ray table, and I assumed the position. The RE was there, as well as an x-ray person. The RE did the dye and told the x-ray guy where to point the machine. She asked if I had my tubes tied, and she commented that they were blocked, but said she didn't care about that part. So, I don't, either. I don't want any more children of my own.

The thing hurt like a son of a bitch, as I knew it would. The cramps afterwards weren't as bad this time, though, so that was good. I  had bought some of those little 4 hour heating pad things, and I wore one home. I got home in good time, and came home for a nap. Psych appointment next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment